March 5, 2016
How To Write A Great Blog Post
How to write a great blog post, if you own a blog, there are few things you need to have in mind while crafting a blog post for your readers. Your readers are the reason why you’re still in the business of blogging, and you owe them the responsibility of writing compelling and engaging content on a consistent basis.
If you want to make a living from blogging and build a reputation for yourself in any niche, then you must write with your readers in mind. Here are five important points to put into consideration while writing a blog post for your readers.
How To Write A Great Blog Post: 5 Things To Keep In Mind
1. Understanding Your Readers Needs
Understanding your reader’s needs is pivotal to writing a blog post that will create the desired impact. Sometimes you might write a blog post without considering the specific needs of your readers and still expect to attract the attention of readers.
But what you need to remember is that every reader that comes to your blog has a different level of expertise or knowledge in that niche, which also means that they have different needs or purpose for visiting your blog.
Some might be a novice or entirely new to the niche; some may have an appreciable level of knowledge while some may be an expert in the niche.
This means that you must fashion out a way of writing a blog post that will appeal to the specific needs of all your readers no matter their level of knowledge and at the same time meet their expectations.
Every blog post that you write is bound to bring readers of diverse interest and expertise; it’s realistic to have an audience that is comprised of a mix of all kind of users in varying proportions. Your content should reflect the variety and meet all the needs.
You must balance it up to keep everybody happy; It sounds like a tough task because satisfying everybody at the same time is not easy at all.
For you to determine the best possible way to craft your blog post, you have to do some research to understand the level of expertise and needs of your readers.
These are some of the ways to help you understand your audience needs and at the same time measure their standard of knowledge to a reasonable extent:
- By reading the comments that readers write on your blog and paying particular attention to the questions they ask through their comments, this will help you understand their needs and what they expect from you.
- By Asking, a question at the end of a blog post to start up a conversation and drive engagement, this will prompt your readers to express their views which will give you the opportunity to gauge their level of knowledge in that niche through their opinion.
- Create a survey to know the standard of knowledge of your readers and also find out their needs; this process will help you determine the best way to communicate with your readers.
2. Choice Of Words
You should use the appropriate words when writing a blog post, the selection of words is crucial because it can make all the difference, understanding your audience in Step 1 will guide you in the choice of words.
The selection of words for each blog post you write must be appropriate as I mentioned earlier and you should as well keep in mind your reader’s level of understanding, demography, geography, and sometimes even their culture.
One way to ensure that you’ve used the appropriate words is to let another blogger or a writer writing in a similar niche to proof read your article before it is published. While considering the choice of words to use for a blog post keep the following in mind:
- If possible, completely avoid the use of bad or swearing languages because such language is capable of hurting or putting off your readers. So as a professional blogger, you must know where to draw the line.
- Remember that not all your readers are expert in your niche, so try as much as possible to avoid using technical terms, without giving a clear explanation. This does not mean you must explain every single word you use in your blog post, visualize yourself as a reader and understand which words needed answers while you were a novice in the niche.
- Know where the bulk of your readers come from, if you have a lot of international readers, using local idioms in your article will not make much sense to your international readers. They may not understand the article you’ve written. So unless you are having only your local users, the use of local idioms and words should be avoided.
- Another thing to keep in mind while writing for international readers is that not all international readers have English as their first language. So while writing for them, you should keep your choice of words as simple as possible.
- Blog post writing is not like writing an academic essay or work report. You are allowed to use words like “I,” “you” “isn’t” etc. But while doing so try and avoid slang terms and try to maintain a minimum level of formality in your writings.
In how to write a great blog post, presentation is a key factor. No matter how advanced your reader’s knowledge is. No matter how good the content of your blog post is.
While writing for your readers you should make sure that your blog post is easy to read, properly edited and formatted, well planned and executed. Some of the areas where you should pay particular care while writing a blog post are:
- Your blog post should have a clear structure; it should have a proper opening, a bright middle part and a right ending. You should write all your contents in one go from top to bottom. You should divide the blog post into proper paragraphs and give appropriate subheading to all the sections in your blog post.
- Editing your blog post is a must, no matter how good you feel about the blog post you have written. You should ensure that your blog post does not have any typos or spelling mistakes. You should spell check the blog post after you have completed it and also read the article again to find any errors in the article. Even if you have a powerful content, unnecessary mistakes can distract readers and make your blog post look less authoritative.
- Formatting the blog post you have written for your blog is one of the essential tools in the presentation of your writing. Formatting makes your blog post easy and fun to read. You should use proper Bold, Italics, Underline, subheading, bullet points, numbers, etc. in your blog post at the appropriate places to emphasize the important points. Once you have completed the blog post, you should go back to your draft and look for any relevant points which may need formatting.
4. Optimize Blog Post For Search Engine
Now your blog post is ready, you’ve done all that is required, and just before you hit the publish button, you must optimize your blog post for search engine.
Optimizing your blog post for search engine doesn’t mean stuffing your blog post with keywords, only include your target keywords in places where it fits in and won’t impact negatively on your reader’s experience.
Here’s a quick reminder of what you should do to optimize your blog post for search engine:
- Meta description is the description that is below the blog post title on Google’s search results pages. Meta descriptions are used to provide a snippet or a brief summary of a blog post to searchers before they click to read the full blog post. Ideally, it should not be more than 165 characters, it’s better to start a meta description with a word that signifies a call to action, words like”Read,”Discover,” or “Learn” works perfectly well and can increase click through rate from search result.
- Page title is one of the most significant on-page SEO ranking factors and should be given adequate attention, your page title shows up in search engine result pages and ideally, should be 65 characters so that it doesn’t get cut off in search engine results. It’s preferable to have your target keyword at the beginning of your page title, don’t force it if it does not fit in naturally at the beginning but its a necessity to include your target keyword in the page title.
- Anchor text is the visible and clickable word or group of words that is used in linking to other pages either (internally) on your website or (externally) on another site. You must carefully and tactfully select which keywords to use as anchor text when linking to other pages on your site or externally to pages on another website. The keywords used in anchor text is one of the many factors that search engines take into consideration when determining the relevancy of a web page.
- Use friendly permalink URLs, avoid the use of complicated and untidy permalink URLs. URLs like yoursite.com/p=209 or long URLs like yoursite.com/how-to-write-an-amazing-and-great-post-for-your-readers/ are not suitable for the purpose of SEO. Make your page URLs short and keyword rich, it has been stated that Google gives more weight to the first 3-5 words in a URL.
- Mobile optimization is becoming increasingly significant, and Google is paying greater attention to it, having a website that is responsive or mobile-friendly is important. A report by Google states that 75% of users prefer a mobile-friendly site. Mobile optimization is important because your readers can either access content on your website through a desktop or a mobile device, and providing a great user experience is one way of increasing readership.
5. Insert A Call To Action
Inserting a call to action at the end of every blog post is important, you should use it to tell the reader what to do next, a call to action is not just beneficial to internet marketers alone, you can use it for different purposes aside from generating sales lead.
A call to action can be used to ask readers to download an ebook, register for an event, subscribe to your blog, read a related article, leave a comment on your blog, etc. Using a call to action creates a win-win situation for both you and your readers.
Following these five simple steps will ensure that your readers are satisfied with your blog post. Good contents and proper writing will get your blog posts the audience it deserves, and the problem of how to write a great post will have been solved for good. Do you have more ideas on how to write a great blog post, please drop a comment, I would love to hear from you.
Obodo Charles is the Chief Editor of makemoneyonlinefastplans.com. He is a Blogger, Web Developer, Internet Entrepreneur and an Affiliate Marketer. He writes about make money online, blogging, SEO and internet marketing. He is also interested on anything about technology. You can reach him on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Linkedin.View more posts from this author